Thursday, February 12, 2009

seedlings

I have seedlings! Zucchini, Swiss chard, a tomato, and some cauliflower have been added to the broccoli that has been up for about a week. I do worry about them getting to leggy though. My one little light doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I think that will be this weekend's project. New lights for my seed starting. I can already see I'm going to need more space for this project. My one little window just isn't going to do.

Outside I've been working on a bed of compost for the lasagna gardening. I'm a bit leery of the stuff that hasn't really composted down. Although, with our weather it will probably be a bit composted by the time I get to plant. I did find a source for horse manure, sawdust, and straw. There is someone who has several stalls they clean out on a daily basis about 3 blocks from me. Technically she is out of town, but like I said, only 3 blocks away. Also, my friend that has chickens is supposed to get me some chicken poop. Who would think a person could be excited about the prospect of collecting excrement? In addition to the basic manure and kitchen scraps I'm going to try sprinkling a bit of blood meal. I'm trying to do this as close to organic as possible without getting neurotic about it. I hope it turns out. I love home grown veggies. Also, I have all sorts of plans for canning salsa this year.

Speaking of the canning... I hope we have a bumper crop of Italian Prunes again. The plum butter turned out well and I've gotten lots of recipes for them. Someday I will add rasberries, strawberries, gooseberries, and currants to the mix. Also I wouldn't mind adding Oregon Grapes. I think I can get some of this stuff off my parent's property. I don't remember what all is there.

Well, off to be so I can be up bright and early with the kiddo. Maybe he'll let me do some plant tending tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Katrina, you have inspired me with your gardening blog! I am almost ready to take the leap to a blog to put down some thoughts and notes about my gardening experiences here outside of Potlatch. What do you think? Can we compare notes? I think our growing conditions are probably quite similar...though as I recall your lilacs at graduation last year you might be ahead of me in lilac bloom time, anyway. I'd love to hear from you.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete