Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lights

Now that my seedlings are coming up I've needed lights. I got them two days ago. Tom now gives me a hard time about my "grow operation." He tells me I shouldn't be suprised if the cop stops by.:)

Now what I need are more shelves. I have so many little plants that my little three shelf rack just isn't cutting it. I have room for another but haven't been in twon with enough time to get one. I'm saving the lumber in my garage for my raised bed that Tom has said he'd help me build. He's been pretty good about helping me out. Besides the beds he's agreed to help with any rototilling I want to do. Other than that though I'm on my own. It will be interesting to see what Bear comes up with to "help" me this summer. It will be nice once he's old enough for me to put a bounty on bugs and weeds. I'm thinking a nickel or so while he's little and work up as he gets older. The dog will have to help keep neighbor cats out of the garden. Problem is I'm going to have to fence the dog out. He never seems to care unless I don't want him someplace. That's the one place he'll go.

Let's see...I've added hot peppers and cucumbers to my list of plants that have come up. My sweet peppers don't appear to be sprouting yet. Oh, my chervil is coming up and I spotted the very beginnings of okra. I wasn't sure the okra would. I didn't soak it or anything like all the books say to. I'm not a huge fan but I ended up with about 5 or 6 packets of seed from a second hand bundle I got last summer. We'll try 'em. Maybe if I get much I'll pickle it this fall.

The storage of all this come fall will be a new experience as well. I canned a few of the Italian Prunes we have growing here. They turned out pretty well. I'm hoping to make salsa as well this year. For that though I need a pot that isn't aluminum. I forget exactly what it does, but tomatoes and aluminum don't mix well. Something about the acids in the tomatoes.

One other funny thing I have going. I have 3 lavender plants. 3 different varieties and sizes. They all three appeared to die last fall (went dorment I pressumed) but so far only one has any new growth. The middle size. I'm not sure if the others will come out of their funk or not. Granted my days are getting longer but they still have a ways to go before it is actually spring. It may have to do with variety too. I'm going to wait for another several months before doing anything one way or another with them.

And now that the kiddo is down I shall check on plants and actually try to do something today.

No comments:

Post a Comment