Sunday, February 22, 2009

And they take over...

My Chervil: Tomatoes, okra, and peppers:


Mostly tomatoes and onions, the big one is a lavender (maybe dormant, maybe dead):


One end table full of zucchini and broccoli and angelica that isn't up yet:




Another end table with zucchini, apples, another lavender, onions, and cabbage:



These are starting to take over my house. I'm not too sad about it though. Things are a bit early since it is only February, but I didn't expect a lot of my seeds to germinate. Things like my White Lisbon onions were about 7 year old seeds. Who knew they would come up with a vengence? I keep re-potting as seedlings get their first real leaves. At least all this makes me feel as though spring is getting close.
Even though we keep getting hard freezes I know spring is on its way. We are getting beautiful sunny days and the robins are back. The chickadees don't seem as numerous either. They must be headed North. Some parts of my soil has thawed a bit. At least late in the day it is mostly soft. It tends to re-freeze at night though. Obviously not safe for little seedlings. It would be nice to have a cold frame this time of year though. Maybe that will be yet another project so I can do this a little more planned out next spring.
I think I might have just had a brilliant idea. I'm sitting here looking at my front porch and think that I may be able to put plastic up and basically have a green house there during the spring. I'll have to look into that.
For now I'd better check on my bread that is rising. I'm trying my own recipe. It seems to be super dense right now. We'll see how it turns out. I was going to do sourdough, but it looks like my starter might have gone bad. I have to do some research though before I toss it. It doesn't smell bad, just looks it. I don't want to toss or use it until I know something further.




1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your gardening. It makes me want a home of my own and a place to plant things. Too bad Adam's house in Seattle has a northern and eastern exposure... not so good for gardens. So for now, I will garden vicariously. :)

    ReplyDelete