Sunday, February 8, 2009

Introduction

I decided I'd better branch off from the standard blog for our family for this section. I'm doing this as much for me to keep track of the garden as anything else. I seem to be good at accumulating seeds, but starting them and keeping them alive hasn't really progressed as of yet.

So here is a short list of what I've got going so far:

Green and Yellow Zucchini
Sweet and hot Peppers
Tomatoes (Beefsteak, and one other I can't remember at the moment)
Swiss Chard
Onion (both WallaWalla and White Lisbon Bunching)
Watermelon
Cantelope
Okra (I know, probably won't survive here)
Broccoli
Cauliflower
MacIntosh Apples
Golden Delicous Apples
Chervil
Parsley
Rosemary
Spearmint

I have so many plans for the garden I'm not sure what to do with myself. I'm going to try lasagna gardening so I don't have to dig as much. You aren't supposed to have to at all, but I plan on planting all over the yard so I will still have to dig some. Things like my lavender are not going to go in my veggie garden of course. In light of trying the lasagna gardening I'm on a quest for poop right now. Chicken, horse, and cow. I have a lead on some horse and some chicken. If my truck was working I'd have a mix of horse and cow as well. Its looking like I'd better get the old Ford going this spring.

Just a little basic info too: I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere between Zone 3 and Zone 5. We'll see how our weather compares this year. I have almost a quarter acre worth of yard to play with. We need our fence to go up this spring. I haven't tested the soil yet since it is still frozen. Soon though.



And I leave you with my seed starting photo: (on a side note...I'm trying to do this without spending money.)

No comments:

Post a Comment