Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pots

I spent yesterday re-potting the largest of my seedlings. My green zucchini and broccoli. On things like the zucchini I'm going to get rid of the majority of the plants. I really don't need 8 green zucchini and something along the same number of yellow zucchini. I just don't think Tom and I can eat that much. We like zucchini, but wow. So my plan is to have a yard sale this spring anyway to get rid of a bunch of stuff so I think instead of killing plants I will try selling them. I'm thinking about a buck a piece. Maybe this way I can make back a small portion of what I have spent on the garden. Shouldn't be too difficult since I haven't spent much money. All my mulch and compost has been free. I've purchased seed trays, some peat pots, lights, and the seeds. The lights have been the most expensive and even then they weren't very when you compare them to the cost of food.

The cost of food is the main reason I've decided to garden. Things have gotten so expensive these days. I've been amazed at things like milk. Not very long ago $2 would get you a gallon of 2%. Not now. We aren't even as expensive as some places. Then the strange part. Different areas get very different prices. When I go to my parents' place the milk is cheaper but the diapers more expensive. I'm not sure how that works. So at any rate, because of the costs at the grocery store I'm trying to grow our garden. Besides I love homegrown veggies. They taste soooooo much better.

I'd better get Bear down for his morning nap so maybe I can get some more transplanting done.

No comments:

Post a Comment