Sunday, May 19, 2013

Tis the busy season

Spring gets busy when you garden.  There is so much I want to do and need to do that it can get a little overwhelming.  At least today and yesterday I'm getting a forced break.  It has been raining.  Although, despite that I've gotten lots of weeds pulled.  The soft ground makes for easy pulling.  Good thing too because boy do I have bindweed here!  Oh my.  I will still take that over puncture vine but bindweed sure is invasive stuff.

The worst is that not a whole lot can be done about the bindweed.  When you pull it the dang thing actually seems to propagate more.  Any little piece of root can grow more.  The seeds can lay dormant for close to 30 years and still germinate.  Ugh!  The weed killer chemicals will take care of it along with everything else around it, but I'd rather not use the chemicals.  You can get rid of it with persistence but it does take a year or two of pulling, spraying, cutting, burning, and whatever else you come up with to get rid of.  Oh, good example of how resilient it is:  I saw some growing in the tire tracks of our gravel road the other day.  Tough stuff.

It does have some good points.  You can use the vines for ties in the garden and apparently you can use it for dye.  I will be trying this.

So I've been trying to get rid of weeds, cutworms have gotten one of  my tomatoes, I keep planting more seeds and plants as I get them, and I've been trying to stay dry.

Busy times but I do love Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment