Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy 1st day of Spring

Whew! Finally got a half way decent day and some time to play outside.  We got the garden most of the way staked out, got my compost area fenced in, and I got two big beds (5 feet x 28 feet) cultivated and ready to plant.  I have four more big beds to prep.  I don't think I'll need/want them this year so they'll probably get mulched or cover cropped for next year.  I do need to figure out where I'm going to put my asparagus.  I found asparagus starts the other day here in town so I bought them.  I also found onion sets and shallot sets.  Those won't be as tough to figure out where I'll put them since they aren't perennial.

The wind blew like crazy today again.  Not the 40-60 mph we had on Sunday but it blows here.  Pretty much all the time.  Some folks say it is seasonal but I think the only thing really seasonal is that the winds get stronger in the spring.  This semi-flat country just doesn't have anything to block the wind.

I need to count the number of tomato plants I put in.  I know I have somewhere around 20 starts.  I'm also trying Brussels sprouts again.  We'll see if I can get them through the heat enough to produce a decent set of sprouts.  I have kale and garlic up.  They are in the containers I had at our rental.  I don't see any carrots yet but both containers with kale are showing green and the lone garlic shoot is about 2 inches tall.  The garlic was a clove I was going to cut for making dinner and I saw it had a big sprout so I planted it in a container I had sitting there with just dirt.  Guess we'll have a little garlic anyway.

I'm excited now that I have beds ready.  Now I can get figuring where I'm going to put my herbs as well as that asparagus.  I'm debating rhubarb as well.  I'm not a huge fan but it goes nicely with strawberries so I might.  I'm also going to put strawberries in. I suppose I should order my stuff one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment